Saturday, June 14, 2008

Reading Rainbow

Alright world. Do you remember that show? With LeVar Burton i loved that show. What ever happened to good Television, anyways. All I've got to say is books rock. I love to read, but most the time I never know what to read. Well it could be the fact that i leave really soon, or it could be the fact that all of a sudden a i have discovered a ton of books i want to read. Or it could be a combination of both. But i have found some awesome books and just thought I'd share them with you.

"The Last Lecture" (Randy Pausch, written by some guy who's name escapes me.) This book rocked! For those of you who don't know what a last lecture is, I'll give a brief explanation. Every year Colleges ask one professor to give a lecture as if it were there last lecture before they were to die. What would you say? Would anybody listen? Would you seriously lecture on physics or what your paid to lecture on? That kind of stuff, well minus the last question that was just me saying why do we waste our life listening to professors drone on about crap i don't care about. Anyway that's what a "last lecture" is. The book is about Randy Pausch's last lecture. Randy has pancreatic cancer. 98% of people with pancreatic cancer die within 5 years. He was given 3-6 months to live. So this was really his last lecture. Anyway i can't say much more about it without telling you the whole book, but PLEASE read this book!! It will change your life. well maybe not but it's a great book anyway. Also to get you interested look up "Last Lecture, Randy Pausch" on youtube and you can actually watch his last lecture. Note do not just watch the lecture, the book adds to much to his story.

"I Am America (And So Can You)" (Stephen T. Colbert) If you are a Colbert fan, read this book. I'm talking serious fan, if you just sorta like him but feel that sometimes its not that great, or offends you, do not read this book. But for all you serious Colbert fans out there this book was hilarious. My favorite chapters were on old people, and Education. But this is a serious dose of Colbert, take it in stages otherwise you'll OD for sure, believe me that is what i did, and i almost returned the book to the library, luckily i waited a few days and picked it up again and finished it. So once again read this book serious Colbert fans or you are a terrorist!

"Mere Christianity" (C.S. Lewis) I've not finished this one, as i really want to comprehend it fully so I'm taking my time, also reading 4 other books at the same time doesn't help. But so far great book on understanding Christianity. If you wonder what being a christian means read this book, it will explain it. Also I'm glad to read this to understand what other christian faiths believe, as i will run into a lot on my mission.

"The Enoch Letters" (Neal A. Maxwell) Elder Maxwell was a huge fan of C.S. Lewis, and if you are familiar with "The Screwtape Letters" by Lewis, this is a reversal of that book. Instead of someone from Hell writing about all the stuff they do to drag you down, this is a book from someone who is trying to lift you up and accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. Once again I'm not done with this but i have loved every "letter" and can't wait to finish it. Also I've never read "The Screwtape Letters" so if i got the description wrong I'm sorry, it was checked out of the library when i went to get it, it is next on my list of books to read. So check out "The Enoch Letters" I have really enjoyed it.

And last but certainly not least... The Book of Mormon Another Testament of Jesus Christ. I am always reading this book. Why because it is so amazingly good! Every time you read it you pick something else out. This book is the only completely true book out there folks. I promise you if you pick it up and read it with full purpose of heart and a pure conviction, and pray about it. The Lord WILL testify the truth of it to you. If you've never read this book I promise you it will change your life. It is because of this book that i am giving up 2 years of my life to go on a mission. There is nothing else out there i would do this for. But don't take my word for it, read this book and let the spirit of The Lord testify the truth of it unto you!

Thanks world, those are the books that I've either read or currently reading, check them out if you'd like I've loved everyone especially that last one. Keep it real world, and until next time.

1 comment:

Rob Nelson said...

way to go man, i was hoping you'd put the BOM in there! you're going to be great elder