Saturday, May 10, 2008

Missionaries!!

If Spencer promises he will deliver, i promise. Wow i thought that was really clever but anyway as i promised last night in my quick update i will tell you all about josh sending me the Book of Mormon. (note: from now on Book of Mormon will be referred to as B.O.M.) Also I'll throw in some other missionary stuff along the way.

Alright, so last night when i got back from my little brothers baseball game and walk through the doors the phone rings. Talk about the good Lord and timing. Well i see that the number is from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. At first i think it was my bishop trying to give me a calling till i leave, so i almost didn't answer it. Don't get me wrong i would love to have a calling, but just not in the young single adults. YSA and I don't gel, the whole 18-30 thing gets me, how bout we make it 18-25 i feel better about that. Anyway i ended up picking up the phone and on the other end is a nice oriental sister missionary. She never gave me her name so I'll call her Sister Y. Well Sister Y informed me that she was calling in behalf of my friend Elder Joshua Sponbeck. Except she didn't really say it like that. She said she was calling about Elder Sponbeck, when i heard this for some reason my mind immediately thinks of the worst thing, i don't know why it's a defect I'm trying it get rid of but it happens. Anyway when she explained that she was from the church and that she wanted to send me a B.O.M. in behalf of josh. I said sure cause hey i could use a free B.O.M. to give to someone else at some point, i figure I've got to get used to it cause it's what I'm gonna be doing for the next two years. Well she asked me if i had ever heard of the B.O.M. and i said yes that i had read it a several times and that i am a member. She laughed and said that since i already have a B.O.M. she wouldn't send me another, and then she challenged me to keep reading the B.O.M. and then reminded me to keep writing my friend Elder Sponbeck. When i hung up i just started to laugh out loud.

You see Sister Y may not have got it and you may not have got it in fact i didn't get it to begin with but it worked in a couple of ways. First josh let me know that he was still out there and i needed to write him again. I was doing really good for awhile then finals hit and all that so i stopped. Second it just added another funny experience for josh and i cause really we've had quite a few. And in a way i think it was josh letting me know that he is there and misses me like i miss him. Josh and I have been best friends since 7th grade. when i drove away the Sunday before he left, it was one of the hardest things for me to do. Josh has always been there for me no matter what was going on. he still is now but it just takes a lot longer. Letters are great to get but i can't tell you how many times something small happens to me and i just want to call josh and tell him, but i can't. And josh is out there working doing what he is supposed to do. That means if i send him a letter it could be as much as a month before i hear back from him. No good.

Well my missionary story is not over yet. about 10 minutes after i hung up Sister Y called back again. I guess on the referral card josh wanted me to give the missionaries a number for another friend that isn't a member so this person could get a B.O.M. from josh. So josh helps again by really getting me into the missionary attitude. Sister Y challenged me to say something to this friend that could change there life forever. So cool i can't wait till i get the chance to.

So i wrote josh a letter to tell him all about it, and i can't wait to hear what he has to say about it. One more thing for he and I to laugh about. Well all missionaries rock. I wanted to say more but i am really trying hard to keep my post shorter, doesn't seem to be working. But i can't wait to be a missionary it is what i have been living my whole life for and it is just around the corner. Keep it real world and look forward to some awesome posts. I've got some great ideas.

2 comments:

Rob Nelson said...

HOORAH FOR ISRAEL!!! Dude thats way tight, you'll be great. I'm so excited for you, but we need to go to the temple asap... how about wednesday at like... 5? that work? just let me know

Kelly said...

That's awesome! I have a story kind of like that. Just happened today. I just finished a blog about it. You should read it.

P.S. took you long enough to blog! Holy hannah I thought you'd died! But I'm glad you aren't forgetting